HotMachiHot will be keeping track of Poll Promises made by DMK. These were picked from “emeng.pdf” [in Tamil] downloaded from DMK’s website. As and when they are fulfilled, we would date it and mark it as completed. The idea here is have an audit trail for every election promise that DMK made during 2006 Tamil Nadu elections and keep track of its execution [If any].
3 OUT OF 37
MARVELLOUS FEATURES OF THIS MANIFESTO 2006
After the swearing-in, Mr.Karunanidhi signed three orders implementing the poll promises of the DPA, [May 15th 2006]
2. Free colour TV to every family for women’s recreation and general knowledge.
3. Restoration of Financial Assistance for marriage – Increased to Rs.15,000/-
4. Rs.45 per day as training allowance again to the members of Self-Help Groups.
5. Maternity assistance to pregnant women at Rs.1000 per month for 6 months!
6. Free gas stove to all poor women!
7. Educational fee increased several fold will be reduced and restored to earlier level.
9. Monthly financial assistance up to Rs.300 to the unemployed youth.
10. Employment opportunity to three lakh youth in the vacant posts in Government departments.
11. Self-Help Groups to the unemployed youth.
12. Free computer Training to the youth in rural areas.
13. Waiver of all cooperative loans of the farmers.
14. Free electricity to Weavers in addition to farmers.
15. Assignment of 2 acres of land to the landless poor families.
17. Selection of Teachers on the basis of registration seniority in the Employment Exchange – Among them 50% will be women!
18. Free electricity to farmers, who had got priority connection on payment of special deposits!
19. All concessions withdrawn will be restored to Government employees and teachers
20. Financial assistance to the families of the deceased
21. Government employees and road workers and employment to their legal heirs
22. Third Police Commission to redress the grievances of Police force and refurbish them!
23. We will implement the recommendations of the Sixth Pay Commission as an when they are announced
24. All the vacancies in Government Departments, Schools, Colleges and Hospitals will be filled – The system of contract employment will be abolished
25. Separate Welfare Boards to the unorganized labour ; Rs.300/- per month as pension to the members
26. Immediate provision of housing to all the fishermen and others affected by Tsunami!
27. Opportunity will be given to all the trained persons from all castes to act as Archakas in the temples
28. Reservation Act for Muslims and Christians
29. Opposition to foreign investment in retail trade
30. Old age pension increased to Rs.400/-
31. Physically Handicapped pension increased to Rs.500/-
32. Installation of Kannagi statue in the same place, removed by the ADMK Government
33. Bus fares raised by the ADMK regime will be reduced to the level of railway fares
34. We will reduce cinema out-door shooting charges enhanced by Jayalalitha Government
35. We will reestablish MGR Film City gradually razed to the ground by Jayalalitha regime
36. We will put up early a statue and memorial for “Nadigar Thilagam” Sivaji
37. We will declare the Birth day of Kamarajar on the 15th July as the day of opening of educational eye and organize celebrations in the schools.